Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Only Eight Choices: The Woes of a Prospective Political Communication Major

     I like politics. I like politics a lot. I really really do. I have for a while, and perhaps it started with my love of political dramas, maybe not. Anyway its irrelevant really because I love politics.
Policy and I have a tumultuous past. In fact, I started to identify as a Republican at twelve. Yes my little CAP friends, I was a firm conservative, but more on that later. As Richard Fish would say, "Bygones." (I just referenced 90's T.V. I'm sorry) I like debating policy, I like understanding our government while simultaneously whining about it. I like the idea that the laws politicians pass will ultimately help people. After all, I would do anything to the people of this country, even if it's every person, one at a time. I'm game. However, I also love communication and the humanities. I mean, I wouldn't be in CAP if I didn't. As of right now, I want to major on Political Communication when I bid high school farewell.
    So, for fun, I decided to see which colleges offered a degree in Political Communication. There had to be a decent amount, right? WRONG. Try eight. Well, give or take eight. I kid you not, eight results. Of the 3,991 schools listed on Big Future, there are only eight.

  1. The George Washington University
  2. Emerson College
  3. Cedarville University
  4. Suffolk University
  5. Nebraska Wesleyan University
  6. Missouri State University
  7. Ohio University Southern
  8. Weber State University
Eight. Right there. These are my options for college. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. It's morbidly depressing. What else do I do? I've looked through every single school on the list and about half of them are out already.
"The 'No' List"
  • Ohio University Southern: This school is a regional commuter campus. Not beneficial for an out of state student. Furthermore, their website is hard to navigate. I couldn't find anything I wanted. 
  • Suffolk University: Suffolk is a commuter campus. I wouldn't be able to do that in the middle of Boston. Also, like Ohio University Southern, their website is confusing but from what I can tell, they don't have a degree degree, but a "track" in Political Communication. Beggars can't be choosers but I'm picky. 
  • Cedarville University: I'm on the fence because I'm not sure if I want to go to a school with a religious affiliation. That's picky but I don't want their to be a hugely dominant religion. Religion itself isn't the problem, I just want more religiously diverse than their seems to be on their campus. 
  • The George Washington University: My mother refuses to send me their for undergraduate study, but is fine with me doing graduate work there. After all that is where she got her master's degree.
  The "Still Alive" List:
  • Emerson College
  • Nebraska Wesleyan University
  • Missouri State University
  • Weber State University
*Fun Fact of Merit: Kansas State University and Fairfield University have "tracks" in Political communication*

And then there were four. I'm kind of lost about the whole thing. Do I just man up and double major in Communication Studies and Political Science? Most schools offer those degrees. Or do I stick with the legitimately perfect degree. I have varying interests, but this Political Communication degree is no joke. It's flawless. I love writing contemporary stories and world religion, but according to my friends at Nebraska Wesleyan, this Political Communication degree could lead to a degree as a speechwriter, Press Secretary, PR, or the coveted Director of Communications. That's the career I want, Public Relations, Director of Communications. I don't want to be a politician, however, I do want to work for one. I want to regulate a campaign's relation with the press. I want to manage the communication of a campaign. Heck, I just want to work for a campaign. So I can't really give up on the four way path, can I? Besides, Emerson and Nebraska have caught my fancy, I must admit. 

Political Communications or Bust. 

Fun Videos:

Interpersonal Political Communication




The Power of Positive Political Communication





Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment