Sunday, November 11, 2012

Capture the Fall



      The Capture the Fall challegne has arrived! It seemed simple, you know, like what does fall look like to you? Short answer: leaves. However, when I began the assignment I learned that it was much more than that. How do you see fall is not a simple question, it's a complex one. One thats answer relies solely on you. So how do you go about answering it, and more importantly how do you begin to comprehend what a season looks like to you? I had a bit of trobule with this.
    At first, I wanted leaves and trees, just leaves and trees. The standard. Fall does have lots of leaves and trees, and that is technically what the fall looks like. But what does fall look like to me? It was a question equivalent to rocket science. I thought about it and thought it. I just couldn't figure it out. What was I going to film and how? When? What is my subject? Way too many questions, not enough answers, and so little time.
     Well, I did finally figure it out. How do I see fall? It's change. It's the juxtaposition of life and death. The livelihood of children playing, and the leaves turning brown and falling off. It's contrast. The world is changing and approaching winter.
      What fall looks like to me is difference and change. Like a clock switching time or going from hugging to fighting in minutes. Change. Difference. That's what I wanted to portray. Light and dark. Puffy coats and sunshine. I also tried to work in the technicalities of the fall like putting on coats. It's everyday images, children playing and coming inside at 5:30.
      My video is supposed to sort of interpretive. Life in darkeness, unadultered joy and fighting, and a little bit of leaves. I wanted to portray the change we go through in the fall. We suit up in our coats and we look up at the trees. Half have leaves and some are bare. Juxtaposition. Colorful little boys running around in the brown woods. Juxtapoisioton. Hugging to fighting. Juxtapoistion, because, to me, fall  is the season of the juxtaposed. Contrast, difference, or what have you. Everything's changing and as they do things begin to contradict themselves, lively celebrations and death of our plants. It's beautiful and heartbreaking.
        So what fall look like exactly? I still don't know really. However I do know it's looks a little something like family, life, death, and connection to Mother Nature as we slowly change along with her.


NOTE: This was filmed on an iPhone4 and edited in iMovie.



No comments:

Post a Comment