Sunday, November 18, 2012

My LDS Identity Shouldn't Define Me

I consider myself to be a tolerant person. I don’t judge based on appearance, sexual orientation, race, or religion. So when I was indirectly accused of homophobia this week, I felt (and still feel) disgusting. Do you want to know why? I told someone I was a Mormon. Now I feel that all I am to that person is homophobic solely because I identify as a Mormon. I just can't fathom that someone's opinion of me has changed because of one thing about me. Actually, I can believe it, I just don't want to.
The Conversation went a little something like this:
Freshman Who Shall Not be Named: Hey. Why are you taking the 4:25 bus?
Me: i stayed for Christian Fellowship. What about you?
Freshman: I got math help. And wait you went to Christian Fellowship?
Me: Yeah. I'm a Mormon and I figured, why not? i need to understand who to run a faith based club.
Freshman: You're a Mormon? * Appalled Voice* You do realize they hate gay people? Why are you Mormon?

Now, if that's not a hurtful conversation, I don't know what is. I'm sorry, but I can't be the only one who thinks this isn't O.K.


Why are you LDS? (I'm going to write LDS instead of Mormon because I prefer to identify that way but when you type LDS people don't understand quite as often. In fact, they usually think I'm talking about LSD.) \

Did you know that LDS people don't like gay people and are extremely homophobic? (Stereotype much?)
That's what I want to address here. Why I'm offended, why I'm hurt, and most importantly why I feel like I'm the worst person on the planet after this exchange.

Source
1. I know we aren't supposed to take to heart what ignorant say, but gosh is it hard. The first thing that really bothered me about the written part of this exchange was that I had to explain why I believe in something. Did she want my testimony? Anyway, I told her plain and simple, "I believe in The Book of Mormon." Now, I don't remember if it was this conversation or another one, but then after I use that standard response, people have tried to tear The Book of Mormon down. I wasn't preaching, I wasn't trying to baptize her or anything, however people feel they can attack my religion because it is somehow inferior to their own. Furthermore, why do I have to explain my faith? I didn't make her explain why she's Jewish. I respect her and her beliefs, so I don't attack them. Plain and simple.
2. Secondly, I'm offended that she implied all LDS people are homophobes because it's not true. "Mormon" or "LDS" are kind of umbrella terms in a way. Most sects of Mormonism are called "Mormons" in pop culture, but identify as "LDS" in real life. While the members of the mainstream church supported Prop 8, that does not give you reason to say "Mormons hate gay people." In fact, the largest sect of Mormonism, The Community of Christ, supports Gay Marriage. In the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, adherents are taught to be nice to everyone regardless of sexual orientation and other factors. Does that mean that everyone is tolerant? No. Does that mean everyone is intolerant? No. I have fiercely supported gay rights for years and I won't stop now. Are peoples opinions of me really deteriorating because of religion?
So, really this post is rant. All it says as a whole is that I'm offended and defeated. I wish people were open. I wish they were kind. I wish I wasn't interrogated every time I tell someone I believe in The Book of Mormon. This is why I want to start an Interfaith group because this isn't ok. I shouldn't be pushed around because we have different beliefs. No one deserves that.

I would like to end with a quote from the Articles of Faith.
"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."







1 comment:

  1. Excellent. I understand that having faith in something does not necessarily have to define your religious beliefs. Also, you need to remember something very important--FRESHMEN ARE STUPID. They are. They're still riding the tailwind of middle school, where they could get away with bigotry as long as their were other people that agree with them. Maybe next year that freshman will be more open and understanding about things like this.

    ReplyDelete