Sunday, May 19, 2013

CAP Hollywood Reflection: Week Three

    Another week, even more challenges! We're rapidly approaching the end of CAP Hollywood, which instead of being exciting, it's actually terrifying. Why?
It's terrifying because when you're making a movie, nothing can ever go your way, EVER. I feel like I must have the equivalent of saying Macbeth in a theatre to our film, because each day, nay each minute, it seems that our film has a new problem.
Last Week Problems:

  • I wasn't given any instructions on how and where to search for music. This is extremely problematic because if the writer/director and editors don't communicate the tone they've created with the rest of the crew, the crew will be on a blind manhunt... and that's what I spent days doing last week, only to have all my music deemed unusable. Of course, I wasn't aware the music was unusable because no one told what to look for and I was given no instruction. All I had to work with was the idea of a dystopia, which I think we can all agree is subjective. What reminds me of a dystopia doesn't always remind my group members of a dystopia. Hence our music dilemma, hence the need for the director to give instructions. (As you can tell this didn't frustrate me at all. Also, my job isn't technically music.) 
  • Our group has serious communication issues. I spent a majority of the week looking through really bad sound effects, FOR A SCENE THAT WAS CUT WITHOUT MENTIONING IT TO ANY OTHER GROUP MEMBERS. However, no mentioned to me or any of my other groups members that we had basically dropped all of Act 2 and one of the most pivotal scenes of our film in the trash can. It was very considerate of my group members.
  • No really, the people in the editing suite just don't attempt to direct us or update us on anything and I may cry. 
This Week's Problem:  
  However, it's no longer last week, now it's this week which means so much more drama! But this week, I think we only have one serious problem. 
  • As of Friday, all of our audio has been deemed unusable! (This makes me cry a lot.) We have the choice to make our film all voice overs or narration. This is extremely problematic because our main character is played by a working adult who should not be taken out of work just to act in a high school film that he appeared in, without pay. This man has already sacrificed his time. I think it's really unfair to expect and ask for him to put his LIFE and CAREER on hold for a four minute film. (I just feel very strongly about this.) Secondly, voice overs would be nearly impossible to achieve with our variety of shots and dialogue heavy clips. If we attempted to voice overs, I think it would like a five year old made our film, an undesirable effect. Secondly, unless someone actually has a plan by tomorrow, it is highly unlikely that we could pull off a narration only film, but maybe we could? But again, that would require making someone miss work to be a part of our film. Our situation just has no winning. Well, I mean maybe it does and my group has updated me. They tend to do that. 
So, this update and reflection seem quite mean- spirited, but i'd like to defend myself I spent days working to find sounds for a scene that no could bother to mention to me was cut. I was never given instructions on any of my tasks and everything I did was vetoed. So now, I have to do the same thing this week with, again, no instructions. No one is communicating and our audio has been killed by the powers that be and I'm watching a thought provoking film die. It's not a good situation and it's very stressful, and I think I'm loosing my mind. 

BUT ON A POSITIVE NOTE STEPHANIE'S POSTER IS AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment